On the heels of U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent 25 per cent tariffs on imported foreign goods and products — including the auto sector — Canadian politicians are turning their attention to securing jobs and supporting workers on this side of the border.
That holds especially true in regions such as southwestern Ontario — specifically Windsor — that are directly tied to automaking.
On Wednesday, Stellantis, the city’s biggest employer, announced it was idling its assembly plant for two weeks in response to the American tariffs.
On Friday, the federal Liberal candidate for Windsor West riding used the Detroit Riverfront to launch his campaign with what was referred to as an “urgent call” to defend local jobs.
Richard Pollock said the country and community are under attack.
“Lower your cost of living and build more homes, and to be a strong voice inside Mark Carney’s ‘Canada Strong’ government,” he said to reporters.
The Liberal Party of Canada’s plan includes a $2-billion response fund, an all-in Canada auto parts network, and “urgent” investments in housing, health care and domestic industry.
This is Pollock’s third time vying for the riding’s seat for the Liberals against Brian Masse, the NDP candidate, having previously run in the riding in 2002 and 2004.
Calling Carney a man of “integrity,” Pollock said the Liberal leader is also ready for this “historic moment.”
“He understands that Windsor is where Canada begins and that a strong Canada starts with a strong auto industry,” he said.
“We will not break and we will not bend.”
‘Tit for tat’ tariffs can’t be the only solution: NDP
Masse weighed in on Trump’s tariffs during a Thursday media availability, saying it’s time to buy Canadian and build Canadian more than ever before to support the local and national economy.
“It’s still not too late right now.”

Domestic procurement is a “critical” step that can be taken, he said, when it comes to municipal, provincial and federal vehicle fleets. Those orders would help keep workers on the job, Masse said.
“There’s no reason they can’t build a truck with an engine in Windsor. There’s no reason they can’t buy a minivan that’s produced at Stellantis here in Windsor or other plants. They won’t solve everything but they’ll provide some relief.”
According to Masse, what he calls “tit for tat” reciprocal tariffs can’t be the long-term solution.
“Sending all of our money to Ottawa is not a solution. The solution is making sure the money goes back to the workers affected.”
The NDP also stressed its desire to see the GST removed on all Canadian-made vehicles to encourage domestic purchases.
‘Soldiers of our economy’
The Conservative candidate for Windsor West said he’ll do everything he can to help out local automotive workers feeling the effects of Trump’s tariffs.
“They’re the soldiers of our economy and have been for decades,” said Harb Gill. “A Conservative government will be there for them.”
Like the NDP, Gill said, Conservatives pledge to get rid of the GST on Canadian-made vehicles, while also creating a $3-billion fund to support residents who make a living within the auto sector.
When he was officially named the riding’s Conservative candidate earlier this week, before U.S. tariffs became a reality, Gill said “Windsor-Essex is ready for change,” and described the region as a powerhouse that had been ignored.
According to Gill, if Pierre Poilievre is elected prime minister he would push to renegotiate the current trade deal with the U.S. as soon as possible, to create more stability and less uncertainty for Canadians.
Windsor West is home to the Ambassador Bridge, University of Windsor, proposed Ojibway National Urban Park and the soon-to-be-open Gordie Howe International Bridge.
Residents have until April 7 to declare whether they’re running. Here are the other three candidates who have announced their intentions so far:
- Louay Ahmad — Green Party of Canada.
- Jacob Bezaire — People’s Party of Canada.
- Joey Markham — Communist Party of Canada.